Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When having a netbook really comes in handy...

I have about six minutes before my Museum Studies class begins, and would like to tell you about my day.

The alarms my boyfriend sets for me went off at 6 and 6:15 this morning, although I was so exhausted from being on campus until 10:30 last night that I didn't get up until about 6:30, usually when I'm leaving the apartment to go warm up the car.  I left about five minutes late, had to stop and put gas in Guido (my tempermental, no-frills Cavalier), which put me about ten minutes late for work.  Tuesdays are the days I work seven hours in a row, from 7am to 2pm.  Since it's about twenty degrees in Bloomington right now, that meant it was only fourty degrees at work - the cafe I work in is just inside the glass atrium of a very busy building, meaning the outside doors are constantly opening and closing, which makes it freezing.  It was so cold that I had to wear my coat and gloves just to comfortably stand at the cash register.  Not only was I exhausted and freezing, but people were being incredibly rude and I'm stressed over a project I've been forced to complete last minute that happens to be worth 20% of my grade in a class I really need to get an A in.  So, my day is not going well.  I skipped my workout yesterday because I was on campus, and when I sat down here before class I had decided that I was going to go home, take a nap, give up on eating healthfully, and then work on my project until my eyes began to bleed.  And then, because I carry my netbook with me everywhere, I checked the blogs I like to read and saw this message from Jack to one of his Bodfather subjects:

"And I'll go ahead and say this right to your face: get your priorities straight! A career is important, to be sure, but don't relegate taking care of yourself down the list. Yesterday I was working on a project with an afternoon deadline that I was woefully behind on. My first impulse was to skip my noontime workout and knock the project out, but at the last minute I said "F that" and went and did my thang, trusting that I work even better under pressure (well, maybe not "better" but definitely "faster"). It all worked out in the end AND I got my workout in. I know that law can be an intense profession, but you're not gonna be in any shape to enjoy those big bucks you're pulling in unless you make some big-time changes in your life. 
"

Now I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I saw something for me in this post too.  Even though my life is hectic this week, it's still important to be committed to my goals and my workout schedule.  Those things are just as, if not more, important than my school projects.


So even though all I want to do is go home and take a nap, I'm gonna go home and change and then go workout.  And then work on my project.  And maybe if my project goes well, I'll take a nap anyway.


A happy Tuesday to everyone.  Stay warm.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment